Abbeyfeale selected to pilot new Leaving Cert PE
Teachers from the P.E Department in Colaiste Ide agus Iosef.
Colaiste Ide agus Iosef, Abbeyfeale had been selected as one of only 65 schools in the Country to offer Physical Education as a Leaving Certificate subject in phase one of its implementation. Following an application and selection process, the school was notified about their success from the Department of Education and Skills on Monday 29th of January. The two year programme will begin in September 2018 for fifth year pupils.
The course will be structured around two strands; Towards optimum performance and Contemporary issues in physical activity. Students will study a range of topics including; skill acquisition, diet and nutrition, psychological preparation for sports, physical activity promotion and anti-doping rules for sports. Students will engage with a project on a sport/activity of their choosing which will account for 20% of the overall mark. 30% of marks will be given for a practical skills demonstration while the remaining 50% will be for a theory exam based.
Speaking about the selection, teacher Eoin Joy said:
“Our Physical Education department here at CII is very excited about the opportunities that Leaving Certificate Physical Education (LCPE) will present to our students, teachers and wider community. LCPE will offer students an opportunity to showcase their talents in the sporting domain and subsequently receive CAO points. The mix of practical (project work and skills demonstrations) and theory appeals to a wide cohort of students in CII. LCPE is a development that PE teachers have been waiting for for years and we are delighted here in CII to be involved in phase one of its implementation. Roll on September!”